Many people who are in the aquarium hobby may not be fully insightful about the significance of investing in the best sponge filter for their tank. While it is a reality that this has been around since the period aquarium keeping has started, a plenty of fish tank keepers either aren’t knowledgeable what this is utilized for or they do not have any idea why this product exist at all.
And, even though aquarium sponge filters are not considered as appropriate for every tank, it is worth to note that there are certain situations when this is a useful and beneficial tool to purchase for your aquarium.
The delighting news today is that this post will be discussing some sponge filter benefits, buying guides for you adhere to and other vital information that you need to discover more about this tool.
This article aims to help both newbies and pro in aquarium hobby to learn more about high quality and reliable sponge filters that are available in the market at present. This way, you can come up with the right pick for your tank needs and preference. And, you may also ponder on the 10 product reviews detailed below to help you easily come up with a well-considered decision.
Best Aquarium Sponge Filter Reviews 2020
For anyone hoping to end up buying the best aquarium sponge filter, Aquaneat brand is the name you can trust.
This filter is known for being capable of providing just the sufficient amount of mechanical and bio filtration that smaller tanks need. In addition, the air infusion chamber is good at generating minute bubbles that aid in elevating the solubility of oxygen.
- A good reliable filter for tanks with smaller size
- No trouble to install and clean
- Can provide both bio and mechanical filtration successfully
- Capable of being utilized in a broad range of applications
- Cost effective sponge filter choice for smaller tanks
There is no need to spend extravagantly if you are presently in need of a reliable sponge filter for aquarium. This product will be an ideal pick if you are keeping a larger tank. Let us explore some more information about this item.
Many aquarium owners buy this brand because it can be used in many ways. You can use it as a pre-filter for Hang-on-Back. The materials it is made of are of top quality and works adeptly at keeping the tank water pristine clear. It comes in a big size; however, it can stay concealed behind tank adornments as well as aquatic plants in the tank. It is nice to note that this device does not trap various fish species inside.
- Capable of cleaning the tank water quite well and rapidly
- Can function as a pre-filter for Hang-on-Back
- Hampers any pieces from bringing about any damage to the impeller
- Seems solidly built
- Designed with a weighted foundation
This fish tank filter sponge seems wonderfully made and installation procedure is a breeze to handle. It is known for being a high density sponge filter that is designed with too tiny pores.
In the same way, it can perform exceptionally in polishing the tank water, and is a wise option for a gilt edge bio filtration and mechanical polishing. This is untroublesome to clean, you only have to wash it off and squeeze it using tank water. Note that when rinsing it, tap water is not advised to be used.
- Enables use of power head without the need for adapters
- Designed with a denser base that comes with a raised bottom
- Allows higher water flow volume
- Does a wonderful job at trapping residues and other types of wastes
- Proudly manufactured with Proprietary Patented Sponge Foam
If you are still unsure of what appropriate sponge filter for betta to get, then why not check out this brand? This is an infallible option if you are dreaming of a filtration method that does not cause much water disruption. It is certainly an impressive filter for the price.
What is more, this is so easy and fast to set up and the cleaning method is not cumbersome. You can rely on its suction cups and it is nice to have a cycled filter readily available in case of unfortunate incidents. For sure, you will love the swiveling capability of the filters and the output.
- Employs both biological and mechanical filtration approach
- Already includes 4 pieces of sponge filter once purchased
- Installation and cleaning process can be accomplished in a snap
- Highly recommended for tanks that shelter small fish
- Can handle tanks containing by up to 20-gallon water capacity
This sponge filter is very straightforward to utilize. It is interesting that it is made of detachable components which simply mean that it is possible to effortlessly put them all together. It already contains two high quality suction cups that you could attach to the filter solidly into any tank position under water- you’ll be happy to see that it does not float.
Likewise, if you prefer, the water outlet tube could be rotated and extended. All you have to do is to modify the outlet to below or above the waterline. When cleaning the sponge filter, make sure that you wash it off using aquarium water and not tap water.
- Does not take up more space in the tank
- All other parts of this device can be easily detached
- Consolidates physical filtration, oxygenation as well as bio-filtration in one
- Fine sponges are easy to remove from the filter
- Especially designed to help tiny shrimp and fish to thrive in a clean and healthy tank environment
If you are planning to purchase a safe and effective sponge filter kit, then this is the product that you have long been waiting for. This is harmless to utilize in that it is especially created using eco-friendly materials and it can function without producing irking noise. This can handle tanks that contain 55 gallons of water.
When installing it, you can set it up in a place you think is needed or appropriate. If you prefer, you can even conceal it on the back wall of the tank. This already comes with two suction cups once bought.
- Can promise silent mode of operation
- Built with top quality food-grade materials that are environmentally-friendly
- Ideal option for anyone with limited budget
- Does a stunning job in bio and mechanical filtering
- Proudly designed with double ten-layer ribbed-formed sponges pattern
This 10 gallon sponge filter is considered tiny but works like a beast. What makes it quite distinct from other available choices on the market at present is that it can help keep your cherry shrimp as well as baby snails safe and sound. Once it started to operate, it does not produce any annoying noise that could disturb you and your aquarium inhabitants.
Furthermore, you will definitely enjoy watching your cherry shrimp frequently hanging out on the sponge. Wouldn’t it be relaxing to observe your aquarium pets delight in a clean and fresh tank environment?
- Installing and cleaning this sponge filter is a child’s play to handle
- Already contains 3 pieces of sponge filters in the package
- Practical to utilize if you have tiny fish dwelling in your tank
- Can execute first rate bio and mechanical filtration methods
- Filter only generates minimal current that won’t disrupt fish
This product can also serve as a workable sponge filter for a 10 gallon tank. It can impressively work efficiently in absorbing tiny particulates in the aquarium. This comes with an appealing and functional design even though is too big in size. You will be satisfied with the manner it filters good amount of water.
This Hikari sponge filter is made of soft foam materials that remain steady and comes with the capability to sustain its pore density. You can utilize this with the aid of a large air pump so to provide the filtration it requires in a ten gallon fry and breeding tank.
- Can deliver long-standing service and performance
- Advantageous for marine or freshwater tank applications
- Designed with well-improved surface area that is beneficial for ultimate bacteria settlement
- Sponge is made of soft materials that allow effortless cleaning
- Built with highly absorptive sponge that can magnify bacterial action
This sponge filter is simple to operate; it is not high maintenance and works perfectly in ensuring that your aquatic pets and plants can enjoy clean and fresh water in the tank. The water flow exit tube that is equipped on this device is easy to adjust reason why it becomes straightforward to modify the height and direction of the water flow.
Moreover, it can instantly establish a biofilter and this is made possible by its A1 dual sponge design. Since there are two sponges, it can provide ample surface area for bacteria and this can also encourage speedy cycling. This can be positioned anywhere you like or you think is needed. It can be concealed on the tank’s back wall, so it won’t disrupt your tank décor.
- Designed to be adjustable in altering height and direction of the water flow
- Built with food-grade materials that make it safe and effective to utilize
- Can be set up wherever you prefer and can be concealed on the back wall of the tank
- Certified high-end dual sponge design
- Beneficial to use for tanks containing 45 gallons of water
Aquaneat is highly recognized for being one of the right sponge filter brands and this is the obvious reason why a rapidly increasing number of consumers purchase this brand over the others.
As a sponge filter, this is well built to help reduce its footprint while at the same time beefing up filtration. Not to mention, it is even designed to aid in keeping the airline tubing squeezed in back into the corner of the aquarium.
- Designed with quarter-cylinder shape that boosts the surface area
- Does not require frequent sponge replacement
- Proven and tested to be multifunctional
- Considered low maintenance than most brands
- No problem to hide in the corner of the aquarium
What To Look For When Buying An Aquarium Sponge Filter ?
Truth is, there are a limitless number of sponge filter options that you can pick from these days. However, you cannot simply get just any sponge filter that you can come across. Various options come with distinct features, price range and benefits. Each of them is designed for various purposes and to be capable of accomplishing different tasks.
Basically, when buying the right sponge filter for you, it matters to consider the type of tank you are keeping as well as its size. And, it is imperative to think through the needs of your tank like its water circulation, stocking levels, the amount of money you can spend for the device as well as the ease of use and low maintenance of your choice.
All these are the valuable factors that you need to take into account before you make the final decision in buying the suitable sponge filter for you.
Why do you need a sponge filter for aquarium?
Here are the perks of investing in a high quality sponge filter:
- This device is perceived as one of the top choices of filtration since it could captivate pernicious bacteria when utilized in a bare bottom tank.
- It is ideal for aquatic plants because it has the capability to sustain higher levels of carbon dioxide in the tank.
- You could possibly consolidate it with most Hang-on Back as they can serve as a pre-filter alternative.
- It is known for being quite easy to utilize as compared to other types of aquarium filters. This could operate with the aid of powerheads and other basic air pumps.
- You can purchase them in economical and less pricey costs.
- This is generally designed to provide successful bio and mechanical filtration.
- The most avant-garde filter to utilize for quarantine, hospital or breeding tanks for it does not swallow the frail ill fish or fry into the filter.
- Such device is not tiresome to clean. You only need to remove the sponge and gently squeeze it or wash it off using old tank water.
- It is highly acclaimed for being out-of-the-ordinary filter for a Betta that has long fins mainly because this device won’t in any manner capture the fins.
- Lastly, there is no need for you to worry about high maintenance.
Where to buy sponge filter?
By good luck, most premium quality and durable sponge filters for aquariums are painless to hunt down as compared to other aquarium tools, equipment and devices out there. These can be found in breeding facilities and fish rooms since they are so economical and dependable to use.
Also, there is no need to go in other remote areas just to buy them; in fact, you can consider shopping online if you do not have much time to do the shopping in local fish or pet stores in your current region.
By shopping online such as in Amazon, Walmart, eBay, Lowes, Petco, Petsmart and other reputable online shopping sites, you will be provided with a plethora of options that come in various features, price range and functions. Surely, you will be stunned of the different brands available for you to select from on the web.
In conclusion, by reading all the uses and benefits, purchasing guides and the best sponge filter products for you to consider that were tackled in this post; you are now armed with enough insight regarding the brand that will best work for your requirements and aquarium keeping style.
As previously mentioned, sponge filters are capable of providing mechanical as well as biological filtration of byproducts, various sorts of dirt, and solid particulates that pollute the tank water. As you can see, this is what makes this tool a great investment to have for your aquarium.
Assuredly, by being well-informed, it won’t be a challenging task for you to search for the right option that will literally cater to your needs and can help you accomplish your aquarium keeping objectives. With the right aquarium tools, equipment and device, maintaining clean and fresh tank water is not impossible for you to obtain.